The e-commerce market is getting bigger and bigger. During the last years, more and more stationary have decided to go online. The key to gaining customer interest is the presence in several online markets. Do you sell clothes in your online store? Great! But who said you couldn’t put them on Zalando either?
The e-commerce market in Germany is one of the largest in the world. Around 75% of German companies work mainly via e-commerce channels. That is why you should get to know better the biggest e-commerce marketplaces in Germany. You don’t have to join them immediately. It is crucial to observe the activities of the largest in the industry. You can learn a lot in this way.
Since online marketplaces are becoming very popular in Germany, you should pay attention to price comparison platforms andcost using bill of material software. If e-commerce cooperates with such a website, it makes shopping much easier for the customer. When he finds out where prices are most favorable, he can make a purchase immediately from this website.
Why do retailers implement online marketplaces?
- Online channels allow reaching a large number of customers in a short time. They offer ready to use base on customers who are looking for specific products.
- By entering online marketplaces, a company can release more than one product at a time. This will give more choice to customers, which will bring more interest to the company and a bigger income.
- Many marketplaces offer the option of notifying when the product is available again. It is much more convenient for the customer than visiting the local store from time to time. Thanks to newsletters, in which the company’s products may appear, the company will receive an additional promotion.
Examples of online marketplaces
We are living at a time when we move most parts of our lives to the Internet. A company that wants to reach as many customers as possible must appear on at least one of the online marketplaces.
There are a few methodologies we could recognize:
- vertical marketplaces, dedicated to only one category of products or services: Airbnb for rentals or Bolt for transport
- horizontal marketplaces, dedicated to multiple categories, for example Idealo or Amazon
- product marketplaces, dedicated to offering physical products
- virtual marketplaces, dedicated to offering virtual products (e.g. for gamers, virtual currency or virtual assets)
- service marketplaces, dedicated to offering services
- hybrid marketplaces, dedicated to offering both products and services
- niche marketplaces, covering only a small part of the market
We have prepared for you a list of the most popular ones in Germany.
Fasten your seatbelt!
Kaufland.de is a combination of high brand awareness and state-of-the-art platform technology
Kaufland.de is one of the biggest and fastest growing marketplaces in Germany! Being part of the Schwarz Group, Kaufland.de belongs to one of Europe’s biggest retailers!
In 2023, Kaufland will open further online marketplaces in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.This step is the underlying foundation for the launch of the ‘Kaufland Global Marketplace’.
With just one registration sellers can sell on many country-specific marketplaces with one registration.
Over 8000 sellers offer more than 40 million products in over 5000 categories on Kaufland Global Marketplace. This attracts 32 million visitors to Kaufland.de every month.
The well-known sales platform is also available in Germany.
We do not need to introduce Amazon. With one account on Amazon.de, you can sell your products abroad, but you will receive payment in your currency. Amazon also offers its warehouses if you don’t care about total shipping control. If you prefer to keep your finger on the pulse, you can easily send packages yourself. To start selling on Amazon, you must first create an account as a seller and choose a plan – Basic or Pro. Upload your products’ catalog and create a list from it. Finally, you need to encourage the customer – create creative descriptions of your products and enjoy the possibilities offered by Amazon.de.
OTTO is the second-largest e-commerce in Germany, after Amazon.
OTTO is a giant in the fashion and lifestyle industry – it is visited by thousands of users every day. If you are looking for a large audience and marketplace that cares for the environment – OTTO is a place for you. It has a strong sustainability policy and requires the same from its partners. Thanks to this, the customer can have a sense of ethical shopping. The factories in which OTTO manufactures work in full respect for both employees and the environment. Unfortunately, it is still rare to see such large enterprises care for sustainable development. OTTO should be an example to other businesses on how to run it ethically.
Yatego is often called an online shopping mall.
Yatego offers over 10,000 online stores. You will find here retailers from many industries: from children’s accessories to furniture and car accessories. By creating an account on Yatego you will not only get access to a huge customer base but also the support of a personal adviser for the first 4 weeks. You can also link your Yatego account directly to your own online store.
Heaven for manufacturers.
Etsy is a place for handicraft manufacturers or sellers from all around the world. If you create jewelry, paint, or make furniture, you’ll find your customers here. Etsy charges a commission of 20 cents for each item and 3.5% for each transaction.
One of the well-known tourism platform.
Booking.com is an online marketplace of the tourism industry. The world-famous travel platform connects travel lovers to hotels and hosts from all around the world. If you are the owner of a hotel or you offer apartments for rent you should set up an account. Thanks to this platform, your offer will have a chance to reach more tourists visiting your region. Booking charges a commission on completed stays and non-returnable ones.
World-famous fashion online marketplace.
With Zalando, you can access clients from 15 countries. You will find over 2,000 brands there and you can become one of them provided you offer clothing, footwear, products falling into the category of sport or accessories. Regardless of whether you own a business or sell individually, Zalando is open to cooperation. Remember, however, that the platform does not cooperate with sellers who do not offer free shipping and returns.
eBay is a pioneer in e-commerce.
eBay is also a well-known marketplace for all who buy online. Currently, it operates in over 20 countries, thus enabling sales transactions around the world. On eBay, you can find a variety of products – from cosmetics to washing machines. No matter what industry you work in, you’ll fit on eBay.
eBay for both new and used items.
On eBay Kleinanzeigen you can find many things both new and used. It is the eighth largest site in Germany. Everyone who is interested in buying or selling should look at eBay Kleinanzeigen. Many product categories offer a lot of possibilities. You will find here, for example, laptops, clothes, garden items, and even cars or houses.
Social media marketplaces
Let’s face it, social media attracts the most people. We spend around 2 hours scrolling down all news and drama on SM. That is why you should use this attention in your favor.
- Since Instagram introduced us to the possibility of shopping directly from the app, it has become an essential place for online shopping lovers. That’s why you should set up a business account and start selling your products through Instagram. Don’t forget about IG Stories. 62% of people claim that they are more interested in the product after seeing it in Stories.
- Facebook also provided us with the option to sell with it. You can connect your store with a Facebook page and make shopping easier for your customers. If you don’t want to sell through social media, use Facebook as a “link” between your customers and your products. Create a fan page or group where customers will be able to share reviews or ask questions.
- Pinterest – it may not be a trendy marketplace, but it’s worth mentioning here. Many people look for inspiration on Pinterest. So why not use this interest to your advantage? If you are in the fashion industry, interior design, or architecture, you can try yourself on Pinterest. Just make a beautiful and aesthetic picture and use the business option provided by Pinterest, i.e. Shop The Look. You can tag your products on the image, and the customer will be in the checkout with two clicks.
Online marketplace for music makers.
Thomann is a place for those who love music. You can find here instruments, studio equipment and lighting here. Everything you need to create music and perform professionally. Thomann serves many countries, eg. Germany, Poland, Belgium, and Denmark. Regardless of the country, prices are given in euros.
Electronic and technology online marketplace.
MediaMarkt is a German store that has been on the market for almost 40 years! When it succeeded outside the country, MadiaMarkt decided to take over the e-commerce world. On this marketplace, you can find electronic stuff: home cinemas, coffee machines, dishwashers, or games. It is the world’s second electronic e-commerce store in the world.
Technology online marketplace, similar to MediaMarkt.
Saturn is another example of the technology industry. It belongs to the MediaMarktSaturn Retail Group which makes it the younger brother of MediaMarkt. On average, their site is visited by over 20 and a half million users per month. Worth visiting if a customer is looking for new headphones or an Xbox. If you offer some technology items, you should be on this marketplace.
Hood.de may be called a lifestyle Zalando.
On this marketplace, you can link your store website, manage inventory and customer data. Hood.de also gives you the opportunity to connect to Google Shopping and PayPal. If you are thinking about joining Hood.de, you have two plans to choose from: basic and professional. In the first one, a commission is between 5 and 8% while in professional from 3 to 7%. In a basic plan, you can offer your customers 500 products, max eight photos to each. While in professional 20,000 items and 16 pics with the possibility of zooming.
Idealo is not only an e-commerce platform but also a price comparison website.
The customer can compare prices and make some purchase in one place. Idealo provides you with a variety of items. You can find here products from various departments: cosmetics, home and garden, food and many, many more. All above makes Idealo one of the largest on the most comprehensive e-commerce platforms. In addition to Germany, it is available in France, Poland, Great Britain, Spain, Italy, and Austria.
Lidl is a well known in Europe and United States supermarket chain.
Lidl offers groceries and household products. It is not only a giant in the case of brick and mortar. Its e-commerce performance is also promising. Thanks to this online marketplace customers across the country can do grocery shopping without stepping out of the house.
Airbnb can be seen as an alternative to Booking.com.
Airbnb is a tourism marketplace mainly for private hosts who want to provide an apartment or room for a short stay. This platform is available worldwide. The service charge is 3% (in China 10%). To make hosts feel safe, Airbnb provides $ 1 million in insurance coverage.
Online marketplace where you can find a vehicle.
Mobile.de is a German marketplace for both consumers and companies. On this platform, you can sell and buy used or new cars, motorcycles, and even caravans. Companies can also find vehicles useful for larger transports here. In addition to finding the right car, you can also search for the insurer offers here or financial plan.
OnBuy is B2C where sellers can offer new or used products.
OnBuy is a good place where you can sell to over 8 million customers.. On OnBuy you can find many products, thanks to the multitude of categories, it’s easy to search for them. One customer can buy several items from several different sellers in one transaction. This is an extremely convenient option. OnBuy works with PayPal, so if you want to sell on this online marketplace, you must be ready for it.
- 600% year-on-year growthfor the past 3 years in a row
- 35 million products
- 8m+ customers
- Expansion into over 140 countriesby year-end 2023 underway
Fruugo is available in 32 countries, and sellers can sell to all of them.
There are available payments in up to 22 currencies! The cooperation of this online marketplace is based on the principle of no sale, no fee. This is very fair and facilitates sales to fresh retailers. Fruugo also offers support in currency exchange and customer service.
ASOS is one of the e-commerce giants in the fashion industry.
It supplies products to over 140 countries around the world. Every week there are added up to 7000 new items. Who can sell products on ASOS? Young designers or salespeople who are familiar with trends. ASOS also has a mobile application. This app, based on a photo sent by the user matches the products available on ASOS. Sometimes technology may astonish, huh? The fact is – it is definitely worth selling on ASOS.
Online marketplace – give it a try!
Now you know why you should implement an online marketplace and have several examples. For sure, online marketplaces give many opportunities for businesses from most industries. Here you have a simple guidebook – we have shown you which marketplace you should pay attention to. And on which you should appear if you want to squeeze the best of e-commerce.
What is the most popular online shopping site in Germany? ›
Germany: Top 10 online stores
Amazon.de is leading the German e-commerce market, with e-commerce net sales of US$18,556 million in 2021 generated in Germany, followed by otto.de with US$6,064 million.
Otto is a well-known business name in Germany and is considered the largest domestic alternative to Amazon and eBay. As a result, older German online shoppers, in particular, place their trust in the Otto Group. In addition, it is possible for sellers on the Otto marketplace to sell under their own brand name.What is the German version of Etsy? ›
Real.de. Formally known as Hitmeister, Real.de is one of the leading sites in Germany, selling everything from electronics, right through to clothing, accessories and DIY products.What are the 3 main types of online marketplaces? ›
- Business-to-business (B2B)
- Business-to-consumer (B2C)
- Consumer-to-consumer (C2C), sometimes called peer-to-peer (P2P)
|2||Schwarz (Lidl & Kaufland)||45,300|
|4||Aldi (Nord & Süd)||28,600|
Online shopping is omnipresent and part of our everyday life in Germany. 94 percent of all Internet users shop online which equals about 55 million German citizens.What is the German version of Amazon? ›
Amazon.com: amazon.de deutschland.Where can I sell things online in Germany? ›
- Kaufland.de. Kaufland.de is a combination of high brand awareness and state-of-the-art platform technology. ...
- Amazon Germany. The well-known sales platform is also available in Germany. ...
- Yatego. Yatego is often called an online shopping mall. ...
- Etsy Germany. ...
- Booking.com Germany. ...
- Zalando. ...
- eBay. ...
- eBay Kleinzeigen.
Luckily, there are now a number of websites and apps to buy and sell used items. Among the most widely used in Germany are Vinted (formerly known as 'Kleiderkreisel') and Zalando Zircle.What is replacing Etsy? ›
- Big Cartel.
- Amazon Handmade.
Who is Etsy's biggest competitor? ›
Etsy competitors include Alibaba Group Holding Limited, Flipkart, Amazon, eBay and Bonanza. Etsy ranks 3rd in CEO Score on Comparably vs its competitors.Are there better sites than Etsy? ›
1. Shopify. For any seller considering a move from Etsy to a self-hosted site, selling on Shopify is the obvious starting point in your research journey. The most widely recognized ecommerce platform around the world, Shopify is accepted as the gold standard for corporate brands and small business owners alike.What are the four 4 types of e-marketplaces? ›
- Independent e-marketplace. ...
- Buyer-oriented e-marketplace. ...
- Supplier-oriented e-marketplace. ...
- Vertical and horizontal e-marketplaces.
- Business-to-business marketplaces. A B2B marketplace connects organizations (consumers) with other businesses (vendors), for instance, retailers, wholesalers, or manufacturers to purchase from them. ...
- Business-to-consumer marketplaces. ...
- Peer-to-peer marketplaces.
Amazon.com: amazon.de deutschland.How can I buy things online in Germany? ›
In order to go shopping online you will need to have either a German bank account (for Lastschrift, which is still the most popular payment option in Germany), a German credit card or a PayPal account. Furthermore you will need a German address where your order can be shipped to.What sites are used for selling used items in Germany? ›
Luckily, there are now a number of websites and apps to buy and sell used items. Among the most widely used in Germany are Vinted (formerly known as 'Kleiderkreisel') and Zalando Zircle.How can I get products from Germany? ›
- Ensure Desired Goods Are Permitted Into Your Country. ...
- Find Your Supplier And Place Your Order. ...
- Gather The Necessary Paperwork. ...
- Pay For Your Goods. ...
- Arrange The Transport Of Your Goods. ...
- Obtain Your Shipment.